Thursday, December 9, 2010

OH NO!!!!

Well the worst possible thing that could happen to a “wannabe” photographer did happen! I dropped my camera. Not only did I drop it, it broke…in fact it broke VERY well! It still takes photos, but being only a small point and shoot, all of the functions and settings were through the LCD. Now I cannot change a thing!

Well I guess it is not all bad news. I have decided to buy a new camera. Well, fate decided for me, but I am happy to go along with it. So it means that I will actually have a DSLR! Wooo!!

I have previously had an SLR when I was in my teens. It was a great beast of a camera. Russian, in fact, and it came with a 300mm lens and a gunstock to make hand holding achievable. In all the years I had that camera, I managed to take a few good photos….just a few. It wasn’t the cameras fault, it was mine. But it was a great learning experience, there are not a lot of people who have owned a camera with a 300mm f4.5 lens when they were in their teens. All of this only cost $300!! It is what started my passion for wildlife photography. It is also what has led me to this blog – so thank you big heavy Russian camera!




I had a look through all the camera brands and options and I can say this too you. It doesn’t matter what DSLR you buy, if it is your first, you WILL be happy with it. You may out grow it if you are really passion and work hard on developing your photography skills. But the thing is, cameras are updated all the time these days anyway. SO after 2 years, even if you bought the BEST and most expensive, you will still probably be looking to upgrade. SO my advice to you – spend your money on lenses and don’t worry so much about the body!

The problem then is deciding on the brand. If you are serious about photography, it only really leaves two brands – Canon and Nikon. The other brands are good – but the reputation of these two is great! For me, I went with Canon. My broken camera is Canon and it was better than any other point-and-shoot my friends had. Even at only 3MP it performed better than 8MP cameras and its colour and clarity were fantastic – these photos were taken with the camera!

The other reason I went with Canon was the lenses. I would like one day to get a nice expensive telephoto for wildlife photography with image stabilisation. Lenses for Nikon are much more expensive than the already expensive Canon lenses – so where I am going in the future was another deciding factor. If you look through wildlife photography books you will also see that most (Well I thing most) photos are taken by people using Canon gear. If it is good enough for them, then it is good enough for me!

So, what camera did I get…you will have to wait till my next instalment!

No comments:

Post a Comment